Sejong Korean Conversation 1-4 (세종한국어 회화 1-4) and Sejong Korean 4-7 (세종한국어 4-7) vocabulary flashcards

I have prepared sets of vocabulary flashcards based on the glossaries of Sejong Korean Conversation 1-4 (세종한국어 회화 1-4) textbooks as well as flashcards for Sejong Korean 4-7 (세종한국어 4-7). To use them download the anki app (the desktop versions for Windows, or Mac OS, and for Android devices are all free, but the app for iOS costs $25). Then download any of the decks mentioned. 

These vocabulary flashcards typically first present the Hangul of the item with an audio recording, which looks like this on the mobile (tap the black arrow to hear the audio repeated):


Tap "show answer" at the bottom, and the other side shows up:


The idea behind these cards is "spaced repetition", so depending on how well you remember the item, you tap on one of those colored boxes to determine how soon it will be shown to you again. The card later shows up with the English side first. The default is ten new cards a day, but after several days you'll probably find you're also reviewing many old ones and may find yourself with as many as two hundred items.

There's also a way to limit the cards to a particular lesson, so that the student can focus on a few out of 600+. This would be helpful to familiarize oneself with new vocabulary before each lesson is covered in class. To create a "filtered deck" limited to certain lessons, on the mobile version:
  • Press & hold the name of the deck ("Sejong Conversation 1 vocabulary"). 
  • Tap "Custom study"
  • Tap "Limit to particular tags"
  • In the "Select tags" window, choose the lessons you want, from "Sejong_Hakdang_Conv_1.1" to "Sejong_Hakdang_Conv_1.14", as well as "Number", which consists of the Sino-Korean and Native Korean numbers from the book.
But learning words out of context only takes the student so far. You can also check the card to find the page number of the book where the item appears (tap the three dots in the upper right corner, and choose "Edit note", which displays the page number). Or you can highlight the word to search other decks that you've downloaded (like Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita), to see if the word is used in one of those sentences. Or you can copy it and search the Sejong Korean Vocabulary app, where it might be used in a sentence that you can read and also hear spoken:

The glossary contains some erroneous page numbers and I may have made my own mistakes. Please let me know if you have any corrections to offer.

Comments

  1. This is great, but there are some words missing hanja. Like 공연, for example. Do you want me to upload my edited version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you've caught some omissions and I agree that we should correct any errors or omissions.

    I'm just not sure how to handle another version. If you just upload a deck to your Anki account, people may not be able to easily find it. Strangely enough, most of the (hundreds) of downloaders seem to find these decks not by browsing the Anki site, but after a Google search leads them to this webpage.

    At this point I want to retain control of the decks so people can find them, and according to a quick Google search, Anki does not offer an easy way to collaborate on a deck. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

    Please contact me directly at hanmeng at gmail so we can discuss this further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been so helpful!! It has saved me lots of time. Thank you! Just wondering, are there cards for Chapter 9 and beyond? The tags only seem to go to Chapter 8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find it helpful. I'm not sure which set you're referring to, but right now I'm still slowly working on Sejong Korean 7 (세종한국어 7). I'm not sure when I'll be finished.

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm sorry! I was referring to the Sejong 5 set....You've done a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, what you see is what you get. I started making these while I was in classes using the Conversation series, then compiled Sejong 4 & 5 while I was studying on my own. Then classes using the Conversation series started up again, so maybe I never finished 5. Then they put me in a class where they use Sejong 7, so I pretty much skipped the set for volume 6 & it's a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for what u have done! I just wanted to check in case I hadn't downloaded it properly. Fighting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding textbooks, workbooks & audio files on the Sejong Hakdang Website

Korean study aids